SONY Announces Commercialization of Ultra-small Digital Tuner
Sony Corporation introduces a small-size digital tuner module, capable of receiving 1-segment digital terrestrial TV broadcasting signal and digital terrestrial radio broadcasting signal, its sample shipment starting in the beginning of December this year. In order to achieve applications into various mobile products, the industry’s smallest size of approx. 20mm x 16mm x 2mm in external dimension and the industry’s lowest power consumption of less than 150mW have been achieved.
As one of the characteristics of digital terrestrial broadcasting in Japan, using approx. 430kHz of the transmission band width (i.e. in case of Digital Terrestrial TV broadcasting, 1/13 of the transmission band range) attention is been paid in the so called 1 segment broadcasting (starting in 2005) suitable for receiving signal by mobile products in mobile-state. In announced this time, advanced high-frequency demodulation technology and unique high-density mounting technology has been compiled, and it is the industry’s smallest, lowest power consuming digital tuner module, fit to receive signals from 1 segment broadcasting.
Model Name : Digital Tuner module for receiving 1-segment Digital Terrestrial broadcasting signal Sample shipment timing : December/begin, 2003 Sample Price (w/o tax) : JPY 50,000
Main Characteristics of BTD-ZJ611
1, Industry’s smallest size
In , in addition to Sony’s miniaturization technology cultivated in the analogue broadcasting tuner, by adopting Low-IF architecture, the industry’s smallest size of approx. 20mm x 16mm x 2mm in external dimension has been achieved. >From this, it is now possible to implement it into various mobile products.
2, Industry’s lowest power consumption
By adopting Low-IF architecture and others, dramatic reduction in the circuitry current in the RF (high-frequency) section has been achieved, also by newly developing the demodulation algorithm, focused on lowering the power consumption, the industry’s lowest power consumption of less than 150mW has been achieved. As a result, the ease in introducing the module into mobile products, whose core is its driving by battery, has been achieved, enabling long-hours broadcast viewing/listening.
Main Features of BTD-ZJ611
– Segment Domestic Digital Terrestrial TV Broadcasting and Domestic
– Digital Terrestrial Sound broadcasting
– UHF:13 62c VHF:7ch
– MPEG2 Transport Stream
– 1.5V/2.8V – 3.3V
– Less than 150mW
– Approx. 20mm x 16mm x 2mm
1) From December, 2003 onwards, it is scheduled to start in the 3 Major Regions, (Kanto, Chukyo, Kinki).
2) From October, 2003 onwards, it is scheduled to start in Kanto and Kinki area.
3) Based on Sony’s research as of Sep. 24th, 2003
4) Low-IF Architecture. It is a circuitry composition system to convert the RF signal, input from the antenna, to a frequency of a certain low level (= Low-IF). The result is that there is no more need of an external filter which occupies a relatively large volume and, it facilitates removal of image-disturbing signal as well as enabling ease of signal amplification, and also there are advantages that circuitries within the tuner can all be customized at all ranges of frequencies.
About Sony Corporation
Sony Corporation (TSE: 6758) is a leading manufacturer of audio, video, game, communications, key device and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. With its music, pictures, computer entertainment and on-line businesses, Sony is uniquely positioned to be the leading personal broadband entertainment company in the world. Sony recorded consolidated annual sales of approximately $62 billion for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2003.For further information, please visit the Sony Corporation home page at: www.sony.net/
Contact Sony CorporationCorporate CommunicationsS. Obana (Shinji.Obana@jp.sony.com)H. Asai (Harumi.Asai@jp.sony.com)Tel:03-5448-2200Fax:03-5448-3061