Please take a moment to review our new 5×5.wirelesswatch.jp website. Indeed, The ®evolution Continues. Yoroshiku!
DoCoMo President and CEO Ryuji Yamada presented the company Q1 performance numbers for fiscal year 2009 this afternoon – the .PDF and video are both available in English. Reported year-on-year highlights from the quarter include; operating revenue -7.3%, operating expenses -4.7%, Capital Expend. -6.5%, MOU -1.5% to 135mins and Voice/Data ARPU at 5,440jpy, -7.6%. With new 18 models in Summer 2009 handset lineup – 4.34M units were sold April 1st to June 30th, down 12% compared to Q1 2008 also noted that 43% of subscriber base is now on a flat-rate data plan. The new i-Conceir” service has gained 1.8M subs in the first 6-months with 364 content service offerings while the BeeTV launch on May 1st show 550K subs paying 315jpy per month.
Bullet points from the analysts Q&A
- 600k fewer handset sales in Q1 YoY handset inventory slightly lower as well
- Packet revenues +25.1B jpy, fails to offset loss in voice, 2012 sees data/voice ARPU flip
- Income change partly based on new handset procurement method introduced in Q1 2008
- 95% of new accounts subscribe to the ‘Value Plan’ – 810K migrate from 2G to 3G
- Net subscriber additions 263K, April terminal sales up 30% YoY
- Forcasts $3.8B cash postition by 2009 fiscal year-end (March 31st 2010)
The DoCoMo Annual Report for full year ending 2008 – PDF format 123 pages – with complete financial and plenty of related details is also now available, in English, Here.
Some sage advise when entering new turf; Stop, Look and Listen.. it’s also good to secure a local guide. Japan is the cradle of mobile civilization – we have been dedicated to this space since 2001 – trust our archives here offer some useful material.
Domestic activities continue to set the pace, and sharp players are looking at global markets. We have hard-earned industry expertise and trusted network of contacts with access to advanced intell. and potential deal flow. Need a lift.. Ok, buckle-up!