Please take a moment to review our new 5×5.wirelesswatch.jp website. Indeed, The ®evolution Continues. Yoroshiku!
The CIAJ has released their annual report on cellular phone trends in Japan. This year’s study focuses on market trends in handset replacement purchases since the launch of number portability (MNP), the uses of 3G handsets, changes in viewing trends of one-segment digital tv broadcasts with the abundant availability of compatible handsets and interest in other functions, such as m-commerce.
The major findings of the study — full results Here — include:
Use of One Segment Broadcasts
– 7.5% are already watching one segment broadcasts with their compatible handsets. Together with 15.0% who indicated that they intend to make a replacement purchase of a handset with one segment broadcast compatibility, the total percentage of respondents with purchase intentions is 22.5%.
– Interest in purchasing one segment broadcast compatible handsets tends to be strongest among the younger generation, with 73.7% of those in their teens expressing intent.
Use of Cellular Phones as a Wallet
– 16.0% have used their handsets as a â€œwallet (electronic payment),â€ approximately double the 2006 figure of 8.2%.
– The average amount of payment made with the â€œwalletâ€ function was 3,602 yen, or approximately the same as the 3,595 yen figure in 2006.
– 60.2% intended to use the â€œwalletâ€ function in the future, which is approximately 50% higher than the figure in 2006.
Some sage advise when entering new turf; Stop, Look and Listen.. it’s also good to secure a local guide. Japan is the cradle of mobile civilization – we have been dedicated to this space since 2001 – trust our archives here offer some useful material.
Domestic activities continue to set the pace, and sharp players are looking at global markets. We have hard-earned industry expertise and trusted network of contacts with access to advanced intell. and potential deal flow. Need a lift.. Ok, buckle-up!