Last week, Hiroyuki Ida, from Mobile Broadcasting Corp.’s marketing department, confirmed the satellite-to-mobile broadcaster’s subscriber targets. The company is Japan’s (and, as far as we know, the world’s) first to offer digital audio, video, and data services to dedicated consumer terminals via satellite. Commercial services started on October 20. We’ll have more coverage in the near future.
Mobile Broadcasting Corp. (Mobile Hoso) launched its “Mobaho” content service on 20 October.
210,000 subscribers by March 2005
Approx. 1,500,000 subscribers by March 2007 (Break-even point)
Subscription fee (tax included)
Registration fee: 2500 yen (initial, one-time fee)
Monthly fees: See plans below
- Basic fee: 400 yen
- “Mobaho-A” pack: 2,080 yen (6 visual channels + 30 audio channels)
- “Mobaho-B” pack: 1,380 yen (6 visual channels)
- “Mobaho-C” pack: 1,380 yen (30 audio channels)
- “Mobaho-D” pack: 300 yen (data service)
- Premium channel: 1,260 yen